It might not be obvious when you’re slumped on the sofa in your sweats, eating your third bag of crisps (we’re not judging) and watching repeats of Diagnosis Murder – but your body is an incredible thing.
So, next time someone casts shade on the wondrous majesty of your anatomy, hit them up with one of these incredible facts.
- Stomach acid can dissolve metal. (Please don’t test this fact out.)
- You spend 10% of the day blinking. You’re noticing how much you’re blinking right now, aren’t you?
- Without a little finger, the human hand would lose 50% of its strength. Who knew the pinky had so much power?
- Your heart beats 100,000 times per day, pumping 5.5 litres per minute, which adds up to about 3 million litres of blood a year. Olly Murs really needs to chill out about his heart skipping a beat … it’s working plenty hard enough, Olly!
- Over the course of a lifetime, most people spend an average of one whole year sitting on the toilet. No wonder there’s always a queue for the bathroom.
- Humans are the only species known to blush. How embarrassing.
- You ears never stop growing. Bad news for those of us that already look like Dumbo.
- Your nose can differentiate between 1 trillion different smells. But nothing smells better than freshly cut grass (unless you have hay fever).
- An adult is made up of around 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms. That’s a lotta zeroes.
- Each person sheds 22 kilograms of skin in his or her lifetime. Best get the vacuum out.