Every month, Action for Happiness shares a tip a day to promote kindness, happiness and all-round goodness.
Selfcare and acting on motivational tips come easier to some than others, so rather than encouraging you to do one thing a day, we thought we’d share all the wise nuggets from this month’s Action for Happiness in one go.
Whether you decide to do one a day, one a week or one a month is up to you. But wouldn’t it feel good to make a conscious effort to do something to care for yourself and others?
This month’s action calendar focuses on selfcare. Which basically means be kind to yourself, especially when things go wrong.
Action for Happiness: Selfcare September
- Remember that selfcare is not selfish. It’s essential.
- Be willing to share how you feel and ask for help when needed.
- Free up time in your diary by cancelling any unnecessary meetings.
- Forgive yourself when things go wrong. We all make mistakes.
- Plan a fun or relaxing activity for the weekend and make time for it.
- Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time.
- Remember it’s OK not to be OK. We all have difficult days.
- Notice the things you do well today, however small.
- Avoid saying ‘I ought to’ or ‘I should’ to yourself.
- Give yourself permission to say no to requests from others.
- Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
- Let go of being busy. Allow yourself to take some breaks.
- Make time to go do something you really enjoy.
- Talk kindly to yourself like you would to someone you love.
- Find a caring, calming phrase to say to yourself when you’re feeling low.
- Notice what you’re feeling, without judgement.
- Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
- Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
- Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
- No plans day – make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
- Remind yourself that you are loved and worthy of love.
- Look at photos from a time with happy memories.
- Let go of people’s expectations of you.
- Ask a trusted friend to tell you what they like about you.
- Release yourself from inner demands and self-criticism.
- Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
- Take your time. Make space just to breathe and be still.
- Accept your mistakes as a way of helping you make progress.
- Write down three things you appreciate about yourself.
- You matter. Remember that you are enough, just as you are.
Don’t forget, you can’t pour from an empty cup. Selfcare is not selfish.