Every month, Action for Happiness shares a tip a day to promote kindness, happiness and all-round goodness from each other.
Selfcare and acting on motivational tips come easier to some than others, so rather than encouraging you to do one thing a day, we thought we’d share all the wise nuggets from this month’s Action for Happiness in one go.
Whether you decide to do one a day, one a week or one a month is up to you. But wouldn’t it feel good to make a conscious effort to do something to care for yourself and others?
This month’s action calendar focuses on altruism. Which basically means philanthropy, humanity and self-sacrifice. So, it’s all about noble, selfless and humane acts.
Action for Happiness: Altruistic August actions
- Choose to be kind to others (and yourself) every day
- Send a positive message to someone you can’t be without
- Treat everyone you interact with as though they are a friend
- Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply
- Spend some time wishing for other people to be free from suffering
- Smile and be friendly, even when ‘physically distancing’
- Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why
- Give unused items, clothes, food or money to help a local charity
- Water some flowers or plants in a public park or outdoor space
- Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them
- Be thankful for your food and the people who made it possible
- Share an encouraging news story to inspire others
- If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they are feeling
- Try to bring a smile to as many people as possible
- Cook your favourite food for someone who will appreciate it
- No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kinder to others
- Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone
- Give your time to help a project or charity you care about
- Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious
- Look for the good side in everyone you meet
- Tell someone about a book or article you found helpful
- Do something to make life easier for someone else
- Turn your phone off and give people your full attention
- Take time to forgive someone who hurt you in the past
- Give your time and energy to help someone in difficulty
- Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause
- Notice when someone is down and try to brighten their day
- Start friendly conversations with people you don’t know
- Plan a future project or gathering for your community
- Do something to be kind to nature or our planet
- Share Action for Happiness with other people
Good luck spreading joy and happiness!